In front of family, faculty and friends, graduating students in the Division of Curriculum and Teaching in the Fordham Graduate School of Education were celebrated and recognized for their unwavering commitment to the profession. Students received academic achievement awards, recognition for their donor-based scholarship awards, and accolades for their student teaching and field specialist service successes.
Aida Nevarez-La Torre, Ed.D. Chair, Division of C & T, was introduced by Michael Taylor, Student Success Counselor. She welcomed everyone by saying that they were gathered at this special occasion to celebrate excellence in the classroom and the knowledge and passion the students being honored will impart. Nevarez-La Torre said these students signify a promise to be a teacher who will advocate and care for their students. They are high achievers who are committed to performing with excellence; committed to being the best they can be in themselves and their classrooms; and committed to all the diverse students they will serve.
The dean of the Graduate School of Education, José Luis Alvarado, Ph.D. commented that these students are ready to set the world on fire and noted how happy everyone is for them. He remarked that commencement is not the end, it is the beginning.
The ceremony was concluded with remarks by Associate Dean Diane Rodriguez, Ph.D.
Donor-Based Scholarship Recipients – Presented by Associate Dean Diane Rodriguez, Ph.D.
- The Holmes Scholarship – Jazlyn Mena
- The Alice Field-McNally Reddy Endowed Scholarship – Michelle Frantino & Tuyet Thi A Vo
- The Joseph C. Zoller Scholarship – Leslie Abreu & Isabel Logios
- The Brother John F. Cody Family Endowed Scholarship – Lakisha Atkins, Lily Malewich & Jackalynn McGowan
- The GSE Endowed Scholarship – Leslie Abreu
- The Valerie A. Rowe Scholarship – Juliana Pires Costa Rodrigues-Hold, Katerina Hadjipavlis, & Marie Salerno
- The Anna, Richard, and Mary Sheehy Memorial Scholarship – Marsha Joseph
- The Eldridge A. Greening Endowed Scholarship – Lisa Ciraldo
- The Testa Family Endowed Scholarship – Janiris de Jesus
- The Marion U. Blanchard, Ph.D., Memorial Scholarship – Yu Tong Chen
- The Ingrid and Harry A. Parsons Endowed Scholarship – Danielle D’Alonzo, Victoria Draper, Michael Getselevich & Alexandra Klapak
Student Academic Achievement
- Adolescent Education – Presented by Annie George-Puskar, Ph.D. to Alexandra Carter & Buster Coen
- Adolescent Special Education – Presented by Annie George-Puskar, Ph.D. to Triona Sherlock
- Childhood Education – Presented by Robert Niewiadomski to Margaret Costikyan, Alexa Gross, Michael Marcantonio & Kate McNicholas
- Early Childhood Education – Presented by Marilyn Bisberg to Chloe Chaffin, Cristina Rocco & Huifei Yao
- Multilingual Education – Presented by Aida Nevarez-La Torre, Ed.D., to Xinyi Wang
- Curriculum and Teaching M.S.T. – Presented by Fr. Kevin Spinale, S.J., Ph.D., to Margaret Hennelly
- Special Education Dual Programs, Childhood Education – Presented by Su-Je Cho, Ph.D., to Joselle Fisher, Madeline Looney & Susan Smith
- Excellence in Student Teaching – Presented by Karen Andronico to Alexandra Carter, Buster Coen, Michelle Frantino, Dylan Libman & Michael Marcantonio
- Field Specialist Recognition – Presented by Karen Andronico to Anne Marie Aronowitz, Robert Haberski, Nicole Lemon, Maureen Meltzer, Helena Nitowski & Raquel Quesada