In response to an increased need among our Educational Leadership, Administration, and Policy (ELAP) students and recent graduates to earn New York State School District Leader (SDL) certification, the ELAP division will offer an accelerated version of our SDL Advanced Certificate program.
Current ELAP master’s and doctoral students will apply two approved courses (six credits) from their degree program toward the fifteen credits required for the Advanced Certificate SDL program, so students will only need to complete an additional nine credits to earn the SDL extension. The six credits cannot be used in lieu of the district-level internship; all SDL candidates must complete the internship.
Courses will be conducted in a hybrid model, i.e., a combination of in-person and online teaching and learning.
This opportunity is available to current ELAP master’s and doctoral students as well as alumni who graduated within the last five years.
Interested individuals who do not meet eligibility requirements may apply to the SDL Advanced Certificate program but must take the full fifteen credits and meet all GSE admissions requirements.
Courses must have a minimum enrollment of ten (10) students to run.
Prospective students are responsible for reviewing and meeting all New York State Education Department (NYSED) requirements for the SDL certificate. They are also responsible for determining whether the SDL certificate is appropriate for the position(s) you are interested in pursuing.
In addition to applying two courses to both the master’s or doctorate degrees and the advanced certificate, students will be eligible for a 20% tuition discount for the remaining SDL courses.
Program of Study
- Boards of Education Cases & Simulations in Administration and Supervision
- Leading a Learning Organization
- The Superintendency
- Clinical Practice in Educational Administration and Supervision (District-Level Internship)
How to Apply
Current students who are adding the extension will have to complete the Extension Addition form (page 3). You do not need to submit test scores. If you are a candidate for May graduation, you must submit the form prior to May 18, 2017 or you will need to complete the online application. If you are interested in this opportunity you should complete this form as soon as possible. You may defer your acceptance to a future semester.
Current ELAP Students
- Complete and return the one page Program Extension Form (page 3)
- Return it to Dr. John W. Lee at email@example.com by May 18, 2017
- Go to the online application.
- On the Academic Interest Page Select the following:
- Area of Interest: Administration and Supervision
- Degree: Advanced Certificate/Extension
- Program of Interest: School District Leader
- Term: 2017 Summer
- Answer the other questions as necessary for Plan of Study, Campus, etc.
- Answer yes to “Are you a graduate of GSE within the last 5 years and are applying for additional certification?”
- Complete the personal info page
- Complete the colleges and universities page
- Upload your resume/C.V.
- Upload your personal statement
- Complete the test scores page
- Provide two recommendations
- Complete the Signature Page
- Submit your Application
- As a recent graduate, you do not need to provide the following:
- application fee
Recent graduates who have taken either the MAT or GRE within the last 5 years do not need to retake the test, but must submit official score reports. If the exam you took is older than 5 years than you will have to retake the exam. Fordham GSE is an approve MAT testing site; we offer the exam at both the Lincoln Center and Westchester campuses. The MAT is a 60-minute text comprising solely analogies. Read more about the MAT.
Please feel free to share information about Fordham GSE’s SDL Advanced Certificate program. Interested individuals may contact John Lee, Ed.D., at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-636-6424.
For additional information, contact the Admissions Office at 212-636-6400 or email@example.com.